An astronomy club was already in operation, the Société Astronomique Hyèroise d’Amateurs (SAHA) was created during the first general meeting on April 28, 1974.
It obtained from the Secretariat for Youth and Sports the approval n ° 83/196 of popular education society on June 13, 1977.
In 1983 SAHA obtained the Pic des Fées land belonging to the French Navy for rental. Since then, its members have devoted thousands of hours of their free time to transform this land into fallow land and its blockhouses into an observatory for amateurs.
Currently the observatory has an important infrastructure (classroom, amphitheater, library, mechanical workshop and photo lab), as well as complete astronomical equipment (150 to 500 mm telescopes, CCD cameras, flat field, Halpha filter ), all in a remarkable setting.
In January 2000 the SAHA changed its name to become Observatoire du Pic des Fées (OPF). Since 1983 the observatory has been installed at the top of the Pic des Fées on land rented by the association to the French Navy.
As for the environment, it is absolutely superb: view of the Giens peninsula and the island of Porquerolles.
In July and August
Amateur Astronomy Festival on Friday 9 p.m.
- welcome, guided tour
- exhibition, various workshops
- VIDEO-PROJECTION CONFERENCE in the open-air amphitheater by personalities from the world of astronomy and members of the OPF
- instrument sky observation with members of the association
October to June
- Open to the public free of charge every Friday at 8:30 p.m.
- School groups welcome on request. Efficient equipment (including solar filters, spectrograph, Coronado, planetarium, etc.) allow you to offer educational activities day or night, at the observatory, or in schools.
360 ° panoramic views, the calendar of activities, and a host of other information is available on the Pic des Fées Observatory website.
The Mont des Oiseaux – Allée des Pinsons – 83400 Hyères
Phone: 04 94 00 53 90 / 06 18 14 67 04